Friday, June 22, 2007

Chilling at the Super Suds


chilled feet
Originally uploaded by misslissa13
I had quite a dichotomous, yet "here and now" moment this evening. My laundry was spinning around drying. I was reading "Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior" while the television in the front was blaring the movie version of Dukes of Hazard. (Is this the cultural mecca that is East Providence? Mind you, I should not judge the boisterous laughter of the counter-girl mamma and the college boy doing his laundry, since I never did see that cinematic epic...maybe it is sidesplitting.) Then I started thinking about the words I was reading and, despite my typical intellectual snobbery (I'm working on that), I was able to simply observe. The jeans dancing around in the dryer, the individuals enjoying laughter, the buzzing fluorescent light above, nightfall outside and me, just existing, in the same soapy universe....no one more important than the other.


It was rather a nice moment...then, of course, it passed as counter-girl mamma reminded me that I needed to shake my tail feathers and get on out of there since her new boss is a bit of a hard-ass about them staying open even a minute past nine. And then my intellectual snobbery kicked back in. sigh. It was good while it lasted.

No comments: