Tuesday, November 4, 2008

f.u.n. at the d.m.v.

it is official
Originally uploaded by misslissa13
No, nothing is ever simple, now is it? Since purchasing my car in Colorado, I have moved to two other states. Now, the mere fact of transitioning car registrations is inately a hassle. Add to that doing it while there is still a lein on it and you have a recipe for a grande headache.

First off, you have to have the original bill of sale (which of course is still hiding somewhere in moved boxes of papers....or did RI take my last copy?). Luckily, I got another copy mailed to me from the dealership.

Then you need a copy of the title with the leinholder. In some states (Colorado and Rhode Island included) the leinholder receives the original until it is paid in full, at which time you would receive a clean copy of the title. Not so in New York. The possessor of the car gets the title with the leinholder on it, then when it is paid off, you trade in the title for a clean one. A couple of weeks ago, I contacted the bank back west and requested a certified copy of the title. When I went down to the DMV with what they had mailed me, the DMV informed me that it was not certified. Luckily, a branch of my leinholding bank is in the same lot as the DMV. They were very helpful, notorizing my title copy and typing up a letter giving me permission to register the car.

Trouble averted. I went back and was able to register with ease. So, I am once again, the proud driver of a car with NY plates! Luckily, the future moving plans keep me in the same state. But I think I will brave the Long Island traffic for a spell before moving again.....and wait until AFTER I pay off the loan.

1 comment:

Stevie G.B. said...

A long time ago, I worked for a moving company and I had to go to the DMV to register trucks. It always took three trips. I used to call it Murder vehicle.