Sunday, September 21, 2008

blue plate special

On Thursday, I took my dinner break around 4:00pm and decided to take a book and drive on over to a diner for a relaxed and comforting meal by myself. The place was quiet except for a few televisions broadcasting the news with low volume and a handful of regular elderly clientele indulging in pleasant conversation with their mates and enjoying their usual early dinners in this establishment where the waitstaff knows them by name.

The calm of the place was delightful. A sense of peace filled me as I casually read page after page of my book, while dipping bland french fries into some Heinz 57, avoiding turning the page with greasy fingers.

For that hour life was simple and stress-free and perfectly indulgent.

I need more moments like these.

No comments: