Wednesday, September 19, 2007

oh yes, it's about me (again)

Sometimes when I have difficulty coming up with things to write about, I get a little inspiration from other peoples' lists about themselves. I then use it as a "template" to think about myself. (I know, I know, it's always all about ME. Hey, it's what I am trying to learn about most…myself.) Read it or not….here I come:

- I am the younger sibling. I have an older brother.
- My middle name is my mother's first name and I am very proud to include my middle initial when I sign my name.
- I was not named after anybody or anything. My parents simply liked the name Melissa.
- I am an intellectual snob and I find people who act stupid annoying.
- I am a college class and degree junkie: I long to be working towards additional letters after my name.
- I was born and raised on Long Island. You can take the girl out of NY but you cannot take the NY out of the girl.
- I lived in only two places on LI for the first twenty-nine years of my life.
- Five years after I graduated from Dowling College, I moved to Lafayette, Colorado to attend grad school at Naropa University in Boulder.
- I lived in three towns/cities in Colorado, but six different apartments over a three and a half year period.
- If you want to make me all warm and fuzzy, little surprises do the trick. (notes, inexpensive but thoughtful gifts, hugs and kisses when least expected, etc.)
- I am an actor, but have not been able to audition for four years.
- My earliest memory is from when I was a toddler. My parents were swinging me while holding my hands as we walked through a parking (I think it was at the DMV).
- I claim not to be materialistic, but I wish we were more financially comfortable.
- I used to work as an Interpreter for the Deaf, but then I started feeling like a paid parrot, repeating people all day.
- I love creating art, but I am afraid to start painting and drawing again.
- I love taking photographs. It feels like the safest way to get back into creating.
- The sight of Greg's smile and the sound of his laugh make me weak at the knees.
- There are very few foods I dislike, but I abhor eggplant…always have.
- I take milk and sugar or stevia in my coffee, and my tea straight up.
- I prefer loose tea to tea in bags, but I hate cleaning out the tea holder.
- I do not lose my cool very easily, but when someone crosses me too far, I can be vicious.
- I got my tattoos done in different states.
- The first time I went on a plane it was to Florida, the second time was to Hawaii.
- I took a semester of interior design just because I wanted to be back in school before moving to Colorado.
- It is almost impossible to get me away from a farm stand without having purchased something.
- I cannot get enough of tomatoes and tomato products.
- I eat salsa straight from the jar.
- We moved to Rhode Island to be closer to family and friends.
- If I could only eat one ethnic food for the rest of my life, I would probably pick Japanese.
- I love New Hampshire's White Mountains.
- I would be a full vegetarian if I could give up sushi.
- I will not watch the news in the evening.
- I have bitten my fingernails since I was a child.
- My parents are still married.
- My favorite color is orange. It is followed closely by red.
- I love chocolate, but it makes me itch.
- I only had poison ivy once, and it was because my cousin and I wanted to see if we would get a rash if we rubbed it on our skin. I had a few itchy spots on my arm, but my cousin reacted so badly her eyes almost swelled closed.
- I prefer performing in comedies, but others tell me I am better at drama.
- I prefer coffee to tea.
- I love wine, but rarely drink it.
- I stopped drinking soda back in 1987, but get cravings for it before I come down with a cold.
- I used to bartend at gay bars and industrial/goth clubs.
- I own toe shoes but have not taken a ballet class in many years.
- I am afraid of ocean water.
- Three years ago, we found out that our Irish lineage first came though Canada and one set of great grandparents were born in Newfoundland.
- I used to play sports on boys' teams back when there were no girls' teams around for sports like ice hockey.
- I am okay, but not great at board games.
- I think I am a decent at dominoes.
- I am highly competitive.
- My first band obsession was Duran Duran.
- I was sad when my shoe size grew bigger than my mom's so I could no longer borrow her shoes.
- I easily cry and get emotional over beautiful things like babies being born or people being honored for humanitarian acts.
- I am a pretty good cook, but sometimes my "experiments" do not come out so good.
- I have only seen 23 of AFI's 2007 100 best movies list.
- I have never read a romance novel.
- I prefer non-fiction to fiction.
- I have not practiced organized religion since making my confirmation in sixth grade.
- But I do feel spiritual and blessed every day.
- I have strong calves.
- I have always gotten along well with my brother.
- I wish I had a dog and a rabbit.
- I love to have my hand held.
- I have a newly cultivated love for gardening (pun intended).
- I hate cleaning the dishes.
- My teeth are of crooked even though I had a retainer for a year, braces for four and a retainer again for a year.
- My wisdom teeth pushed the others out of alignment.
- I still have my bottom wisdom teach and they tilt forward into my molars.
- I was absolutely devastated when Jim Henson died.
- The part of my body that I would most like to alter is tummy.
- I was diagnosed with lupus in the past, but do not test for it now. My symptoms were from using artificial sweeteners. Once I stopped using them, my joint pains dissipated.
- I wish I could dance better.
- One of my favorite expressions of affection is how Greg holds my hand while we fall asleep.
- I think that breakfast food can be eaten at any time of the day.
- I do not like the smell of perfume or artificial scents. They give me a headache.
- The bone lateral to my left eye has an indent from a cyst I was born with and subsequently had removed at ten months old. No one notices it until I point it out.
- I stabbed my own foot with a pitchfork when I was in second grade.
- I have a small scar on my right index finger from when my brother accidentally cut my finger with loping shears.
- I still like gardening despite the last two things I wrote.
- I am an Aries and I am rather Aries-like.
- It bugs me when people spit in public.
- I occasionally freak out when driving down narrow roads next to bodies of water.
- I think every woman should love her beauty.
- But I have trouble seeing my own.
- I never realized the capacity of love until I saw Bernadette's daughter Annalise for the first time.
- I find driving therapeutic.
- I love hiking in the woods.
- And doing yoga.
- My eyes are green but were blue until I was two.
- I also had straight hair as a child.
- I wish I could speak Spanish.
- I did one-on-one therapy for Deaf clients in my internship.
- My favorite musical is The Scarlet Pimpernel.
- I do not usually wear bracelets.
- I only own a few pieces of jewelry that actually cost more than $10, but I rarely wear them.
- I suck at returning phone calls.
- I love the mountains, but I missed the ocean when I lived in Colorado.
- I am a very affectionate woman.
- I love to laugh and can find humor in just about anything.
- I respect privacy and confidences.
- I love cold weather.

No comments: