Saturday, May 28, 2011

i'm a hog

No really, I am! Well, not in the gluttonous sort of way. In the community sponsored agriculture (CSA) way. Yup, joined the H.O.G. (Hamlet Organic Garden).

I am overjoyed! This was the first week and it included head lettuce, arugula, radishes, oregano and thyme. Keeping it simple, I've enjoyed a crisp salad with homemade Italian dressing. Added some store bought organic grape tomatoes and soy chick'n for a delicious meal. Another head of lettuce for a side salad to some pasta with the remaining arugula wilted in with some garlic, sun dried tomato and olive oil is on the menu for this evening.

I love that we are getting new, fresh organic veggies every week. I hope to try new ones that I haven't cooked with before. It's a summer adventure, I tell you. I must admit I have never bought radishes before. I am surprised I had forgotten how tasty they were. Definitely going to include them on my shopping list in the future. Additionally, I like that the whole season is paid for in advance. This guarantees I will be getting my veggies in even on tightly budgeted weeks.

As for home gardening, I've already planted tomato, green beans, cucumber, mint and strawberries, and built two more raised beds for additional planting. Spaghetti squash seems to have planted itself from the compost. I'm excited to see how they do. Luckily, the deer are more attracted to the hastas and the chicken wire is keeping the neighborhood cats out of the garden.

Here's to healthy eating!

2 comments:

Jane said...

Good for you! I love the idea of community sharing good healthy food together. Even better that it is all paid for up front. We have a good co-op grocery store in the city but since it happens to be a bit far, I don't go too often. One of these days when we buy our house, I'm doing a vegetable garden for sure! And a compost too :) Thank you so much for your words of wisdom over at my blog yesterday!

Melissa said...

When we were living in our last apartment with a small garden, we made a portable compost bin using a dark garbage pail with random nail holes for drainage. when it is less than half full, it's easy to roll in order to turn the compost. We have a short pitchfork to turn it when it is full. Keep it moist and put some worms in, add both green (fruit and veggie scraps) and brown (leaves, brown paper) and you will have some amazing compost that you can take with you when you move.