Saturday, August 11, 2007

coffee coffee buzz buzz buzz


coffee cup buzz buzz
Originally uploaded by misslissa13

I drink way too much coffee. It all started as a child. My cousin Julie and I playing with my plastic tea set at my grandmother's house was when I got my first buzz fix. We didn't care that it was a tea set. The only tea we knew of was iced. Plus, most of the adults in our family swigged the deep roasted coffee goodness day and night. Mimicking our kin we poured the liquid gold into our little blue cups which, of course, were half-filled with refined sugar to mask the coffee taste. In retrospect, what was I thinking? I suppose I didn't quite know what I was missing. The deep and layered aroma and flavor of a fine roast had not yet passed my palate. Blame it on youthful naivety...or perhaps brain damage from the plastic we probably ingested by imbibing hot liquid from such unsuitable mini-tableware. Either way, we claimed to love it when in fact we were probably just reeling from the sugar and caffeine high; the likes of which we had never experienced before. This experience planted the bean. A coffee bean that sprouted and grew in my soul but would not bear fruit again until college. That is when the addiction took a stronghold. (Damn you Gloria Jeans and your frozen coffee with crunchies on top! You pulled me back in to coffee's clutches.) Now I can't get enough of the stuff. I even get a shot of espresso added when I order a chai tea latte. Turbo? Extra shots? Extra buzzy? You betcha! Everyone needs a vice and at least mine makes me more productive. Time for me to take my current buzz and prepare for some upcoming travels.

I raise my cup and bid you cheers!

No comments: